There are specific requirements to be eligible to get a TN visa. The conditions are general, educational, and work experience, with particular requirements for healthcare workers.
The general requirements for people to qualify for the TN visa are:
- Applicants must be citizens of Canada or Mexico
- Their occupation must be on the NAFTA list
- They must have a full-time or part-time job offer from an employer in the US
- The job offer should be specified to require a NAFTA professional
- The applicant must meet all educational and experience requirements
- The applicant must demonstrate intent to return home after their visa expires
Educational and Experience Requirements
The educational requirements can be found in the NAFTA occupations list. Most of them require at least a Bachelor’s Degree. If your degree is from outside of the US, then you will need to notarize and verify it for it to be accepted in the US. The degree cannot be substituted with work experience.
In addition, many require at least three years of experience, which cannot be substituted with more educational degrees. To prove your work experience, you must submit letters from past employers which verify you have worked at that place of employment and details about your job.
For professions requiring licensing, you can choose not to submit proof of your license initially; however, you will have to provide the relevant US departments with your license in case you choose to work in the US in that specific profession. This includes mainly healthcare professions.
Those who want to work in healthcare in the US must meet certification requirements. The certification is necessary to verify that the person has completed all training and degrees and has enough experience required by the US healthcare system. In addition, it proves whether the person has an acceptable proficiency in English and whether they possess a license. The TN visa occupations which require this certification are:
- Registered Nurses
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists,
- Medical Technologists.
The certification is not necessary for physicians and for non-clinical health care work. Those who want to get this certification can do so at these organizations:
- The Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing School (CGFNS)
- The National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
- The Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT)
After you get the certification, it will be valid for 5 years, and afterward it must be renewed.
Not clear about what is a TN visa? You can read more about that in this post.
If you need any additional info or if you want to know if you can apply don’t hesitate in contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help!